Friday 17 January 2014

Octopus in red wine

It took quite a long time before I decided to prepare octopus by myself:). I had it many times eating out or visiting family or friends,  but I couldn't just encourage myself to buy a fresh one and prepare it myself at home, until one day I broke my shyness toward octopus end I cooked pulpo a la gallega. It was delicious:).

Pulpo a la gallega, which means octopus with olive oil, powdered red pepper (pimentón), salt and often served with potatoes, is probably the easiest and the most popular way of preparing octopus in Spain, but fortunately not the only one:) 

Today I propose octopus with onion, stewed in red wine and tomato sauce with oregano or rosemary - or with oregano and rosemary, as you prefer:)




Ingredients (serves 1):


200 g octopus
1 onion  (sliced)
1 bay leaf
1 tablespoon olive oil
150 g tomato puree
1/2 glass red wine
1/4 teaspoon red wine vinegar
1/4 teaspoon powdered sugar
1/4 teaspoon oregano or rosemary
salt and pepper

Method:

I have to admit that I cut the occasional corner preparing this recipe, because I bought an octopus which was already cooked:). If yours is raw - fresh or frozen - bring to a boil plenty of water with 1/4 part of onion and the bay leaf. Add octopus and cook it for about 1 hour, or until it is tender.

Drain it off and later, when it's cool, cut it into 0,5 cm pieces. In a frying pan preheat the oil. Add the rest of onion and pieces of octopus. Fry for about 3-4 minutes and later add tomato puree, wine, vinegar, sugar and oregano or/and rosemary. Fry for 5 minutes. Lower the heat, cover the frying pan and stew for about 1 hour or till the sauce is thick. 


Enjoy !!!

No comments:

Post a Comment