Tuesday 14 January 2014

Duck confit, orange and pomegranate salad

After Christmas and New Year culinary excess, 12 grapes eaten in 12 seconds (this year I managed to do it thanks to a very easy trick: peeling the grapes:)), long rest among family and friends, which lasted till 6 of January, plus one week more:), with still full belly, few additional kilos and head full of new ideas, today I officially come back to my culinary blogging wishing all visitors Happy New Year!:).

I'm starting this year with an old, because it's from the past year, recipe for a salad with duck confit, orange and pomegranate, which I made just before my Christmas holidays. To prepare the meat I used an old French way of preserving food called confit. It's basically a slow poaching of a duck in its own fat which, after it gets cold, preserves the meat during a long time. First, a duck is marinated in salt and spices and later it's cooked in its own juices and fat. This kind of cooking makes meat of duck juicy and tender.



Ingredients (serves 2):

1/2 pomegranate fruit
1 small orange
1 confit duck leg (used bought one)
4 walnuts
100 g endive (escarola)

for the vinegar sauce:

2 tablespoon duck fat
1 tablespoon olive oil 
1 teaspoon white wine vinegar 
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon mustard
4 tablespoon fresh squeezed orange juice 
salt, freshly ground pepper

Method:

First of all, I propose to prepare the sauce. To a small ball or a jar pour the duck fat. Add olive oil, vinegar, sugar, mustard, orange juice and pinch of salt and pepper. Mix the ingredients with a spoon or by shaking the jar. 

Wash the endive, dry it and tear it into pieces. Peel the walnuts and cut them into pieces. Tear the duck meat and separate into segments the peeled orange. Seed the pomegranate. 

Put the endive in a plate. Add segments of orange and pieces of duck meat. Sprinkle with walnuts and pomegranate seeds. Pour with vinegar sauce.





Enjoy !!!

3 comments:

  1. I am exceptionally cheerful to find your post as it will progress toward becoming on top in my gathering of most loved websites to visit. ensaladas faciles

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, it’s a nice one, I have been looking for. Thanks for sharing such informative stuff. read me

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent read, I just passed this into a colleague who was doing a little research on that. And he actually bought me lunch because I found it for him smile So let me rephrase that. top thompson raisins in USA This is really very impressive guide of valve selection which can be very helpful for many industry people. Thanks for sharing this valve selection tips.

    ReplyDelete